Saturday, July 21, 2007

Amish/English

I grew up Amish in New Wilmington, PA. When I was 14 years old my parents left the Amish church and started attending the New Castle Revival Center. This happened in the early 1960's. My parents were excommunicated and shunned so my family split down the middle. My older brother and 4 sisters stayed with the Amish. After I started driving a car I would visit them at least annually. I love my family and always have. In my young life I looked forward to growing up because children should be seen and not heard was the motto at that time. (You can tell that I never taught my children this motto!!!)

What I wanted to talk about today was my family reunion held the end of June. There are many varieties of Amish today. The home that hosted our reunion (we aren't supposed to call this day "reunion" because the New Wilmington group aren't supposed to be "friendly" with the english people.) Anyway, this home was very modern according the the way I was brought up. They had gas piping all through the house (much like electric lights in our homes) . The kitchen floor was tile and they had an indoor bathroom along with a bath tub and shower!!! Wow! Another big surprise for me was the location of their farm, about 4 miles south of Greenville, about 5 miles from the Homer farm off of Colt Road! I had no idea I would have relatives that close when we got moved to Transfer!

No comments: